1. Is it possible that ovulation prediction kit test shows negative but we may still be ovulating?
Ans: The OPK can give false positive (i.e. patient not ovulating but the test is positive as well as false negative result.
2. Does oral sex kills sperm?
Ans: Saliva, if used as lubricant for vaginal sex can affect the motility and viability of the sperm. Chances of conception may be reduced.
3. What is basal temperature and how do you measure it?
Ans: Pl refer to the article on “fertility tips” It should be taken when you wake up in the morning before getting out of bed.
4. How long does it take for the birth control pills to "wear off" in the body?
Ans: There is no “wearing off” period. You can try for baby as soon as you are “off” the pills.
5. a) Should caffeine be avoided to conceive? b) Any advice on products like maca powder and goat weed?
Ans: a) Moderation is key. One to two cups a day is fine. b) Maca and goat weed are herbal supplements that may help improve female fertility
6. a) Is there medical evidence to prove the effectiveness of acupuncture and TCM for fertility? b) If acupuncture is good for fertility, what is the recommended frequency?
Ans: a) There are instances where acupuncture and TCM may boost the chances of fertility. b) See your doctor for further advice.
7. Is there a max age to try conceiving?
Ans: There is no maximum age when trying to conceive, but do bear in mind that fertility declines with age for both male and female. Try for baby earlier in life to avoid complications that come with age.
8. Will the chance of conceiving be reduced if you have inverted/ re-troverted uterus?
Ans: No. Retroverted womb is present in 20 % of normal females. It has no relationship to infertility.
9. With age, quality of sperm decreases. How does the quality of the sperm affect the chances of pregnancy or the health of the foetus or the baby eventually?
Ans: Sperm quality and quantity decline after 35. Depending on the age of the spouse, the chances of natural conception will decline after she passes 26 years, as the optimal age for women to conceive naturally is between 22 to 26. Miscarriages happen even in younger women. It’s the body’s natural way of discharging an unhealthy foetus.
10. What diet will help increase quality of sperm for a 40 year old?